Help needed. Bolt throwers and gray company.

Let's hunt some Orc! For discussion of tactics and army lists for the LotR: Strategy Battle Game.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Help needed. Bolt throwers and gray company.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi there.
I just started converting an Arnor army, ´since Gondor are a bit boring to play Again and Again.
(Im cheesy and want the fight value and defence of arnor troops) :D
I have a turnament comming up, and ran into a minor speed bump.
I have a HUGE love for the gondor bolt thrower, but im also very fluffy (I know)

- Is there ANY way at all i can get a gondor bolt thrower in my arnor army, without a gondor Captain leading it ?
If not, can i in that case buy a cheap gondor charakter and put im on it, and call it a warband (Denethor fx) Crappy, but cheap in points.
- Would a bunch of rangers be better all in all u think (play against pike formation, troll heavy lists)
- Does i have to put a dunadain in for every 4 rangers, or can they lead 12 rangers as pr. normal warbands ?
- Arnor and gray Company cant join eatch other thanks to the huge timegap between them (like numenor and gondor)
But if i run a gray Company, can i then take a gondor bolt thrower for some high str. shooting (hero/monster killing)
Or would u recomment more rangers in stead of bolt thrower all in all.

Hoping for a Little help :D
Henrik.

(Im sorry for any spellin mistakes, im from Denmark, and my Englisg whriting isnt perfect)
Last edited by dragonslayer on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Re: Gondor/Arnor help needed.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:00 am

Is there ANY way at all i can get a gondor bolt thrower in my arnor army, without a gondor Captain leading it ?

Yes there is, sort of.
You can buy the Avenger Bolt Thrower as a warband of its own, by getting it with an Engineer captain. That might not be your perfect solution, but it really wouldn't be too hard to model an Arnor hero as an engineer.

Option B, if you want the Avenger without any Gondorians, would be to buy it with a King of Men (viola! An arnor King!) or peregrin (an ancient Hobbit ally) or Damrod (modelled as any ranger hero of Arnor for a mere 20pts)

Villager

Re: Gondor/Arnor help needed.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:29 pm

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:Option B, if you want the Avenger without any Gondorians, would be to buy it with a King of Men (viola! An arnor King!) )

The plan was to (in my arnor warrior army) let the last king of arnor be the general.
Can i then put a "King of men" in the army too, if Theres already a "last king"

Sounds a bit out there :D

Return to SBG Army Building & Tactics