550 Dunlending/Isengard Tournament List

Let's hunt some Orc! For discussion of tactics and army lists for the LotR: Strategy Battle Game.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

550 Dunlending/Isengard Tournament List

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:48 pm

Hey All,

I'm competing in a tournament in about 1 month, and would love some feedback on my list. I haven't played in a tournament in like 10 years and have no idea what the meta looks like, but I do have access to a very large collection of Isengard, and can accommodate a fair number of changes. I just finished about 375pts of Dunlendings that I'd like to showcase as the core of the force, but I'm not too attached to the rest. Be blunt here, you won't hurt my feelings; I know I'm about a decade out of touch here. That said, I'd really like to keep the core focused on the Dunlendings.

Warband 1:
Dunlending Captain w/2 handed weapon
7 Dunlending Warriors with bows

Warband 2:
Dunlending Captain w/2 handed weapon
6 Dunlending Warriors with 2 handed weapons

Warband 3:
Dunlending Captain w/ 2 Handed Weapon
Dunlending Warrior with Banner
8 Dunlending Warriors with Hand Weapon and Shield

Warband 4:
Uruk Hai Shaman
8 Uruk Hai Berserkers
**Totally up for negotiation.

So that's what I was thinking. My biggest concern is the over saturation of two handed weapons. Additionally, I've considered dropping the 4th Warband altogether in favour of Saruman (it's an even points trade off). I know fluff doesn't win games, but taking him seems more themey than a big knot of berserkers.

Anyway, is this good/bad and how should I play it?

Thanks!

Site Admin

Re: 550 Dunlending/Isengard Tournament List

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:06 pm

The force looks good, but there are a few areas that could be improved.

You're right there are probably too many two handed weapons.
The shaman is less great in an army that has different races; only uruks benefit from his save, so it's a shame they're a minority. A captain might do better.
You're lacking cavalry, but could really easily fix that with some wargs.
The biggest omission is spear support, have you considered some pikemen or orcs with spears.
Is there a model that you could use to count as Thurdan Wolfsbane? He would make an excellent leader for the army.

Good lucK!

Villager

Re: 550 Dunlending/Isengard Tournament List

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:32 pm

I was thinking that after I had posted; I can jam a captain and like 11 pikes in where the shaman and berserkers are. I'm not keen on Thrydan, but if others find him worth while then I'd be open to giving him a shot.

Return to SBG Army Building & Tactics