A 700 Point Rohan-Centric Infantry List? Competent You Say?

Let's hunt some Orc! For discussion of tactics and army lists for the LotR: Strategy Battle Game.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

A 700 Point Rohan-Centric Infantry List? Competent You Say?

Sat May 14, 2016 1:41 am

Dear all, a few days ago I posted what I believed to be a competent 700 point list which consisted of Wood Elves and Guards of the Fountain Court. However, since then I have finally given-in to my love for the Horselords. Yet, when looking through the forum, I was dismayed to see that they're generally thought of as over-priced lesser-manlings with little competitive merit. After looking through the lists, I've come up with this:

Erkenbrand
12 Helmingas with Throwing spears; Shield

Grimbold
3 Helmingas with Shield
1 Helminga with Throwing spears; Shield
8 Rohan Outriders

Malbeth the Seer
4 Rangers of Arnor with Spear
8 Warriors of Arnor

Gandalf the Grey with Shadowfax

Fredegar Bolger

Alternatively:
- Replace Gandalf with Saruman the White with Horse (unsure of which wizard is more suitable - Gandalf's 'Cast Blinding Light' and 'Strengthen Will' to ensure the heroes continue to resist spells, or Saruman's greater range and 12" 'Stand Fast!') and
- Take the Throwing spears off all but 5 of the Helmingas and take Eowyn with Armour; Shield.

Thoughts? All criticism welcomed!

Warrior

Re: A 700 Point Rohan-Centric Infantry List? Competent You S

Sun May 15, 2016 7:07 pm

Personally I think Rohan is one of the more competent infantry forces for the good side, they have the cheapest Str4 infantry of any good faction with helmingas. Personally I prefer to support them so cavalry (but that might just be my fluffy side showing through.

The arbor contingent feels a little bit of a random addition, but that could just be me.

If there was any criticism I might have I would probably have included a smattering of Royal guard, that F4/D6 is useful spread around a bit. I would also throw a banner in there somewhere to make up for your lack of spear support.
Spiney Norman, Former Standard Bearer of the Last Alliance

For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.

Villager

Mon May 16, 2016 1:53 am

Hi there!

Thanks for the response and your comments regarding Rohan seem fair enough, S4 infantry is sparce - yet perhaps they are maybe slightly expensive point-for -point compared to other good troops?

My reasoning behind the Arnor contingent (I picked Arnor rather than Elves because I'm not fond of Elves) is that they provide the spear-support for the Helmingas (including the rangers) to boost the Helmingas up to F4 and that with Erkenbrand's horn (I might be wrong on the rules here - relative newcomer etc.) the Warriors of Arnor are boosted up to C4 - offsetting their hallmark weakness. Furthermore if Helmingas die then they're D6 and can shield to hold-the-line. Malbeth was added specifically because I think he's Arnor's strongest hero but more importantly to offset the Helmingas D5 when they most likely lose the tie - furthermore he can be positioned close to Erkenbrand to make sure he stays alive (which is pretty essential in this list).

The Royal Guard point I can concede, I was mindful of the lack of bodyguard for charging terror-causers and may swap out some Helmingas for them - however I thought that since I'm effectively paying 55 points for a hero that isn't that good (compared to say, Eowyn for the points) just to get Helmingas then I might as well take as many as I can.

Your point about supporting cavalry is one I was also mindful of and I was quite keen to include cavalry (Sons of Eorl in particular - they look like beasts on paper) - would you say I swap my Wizard out for a warband led by either Eorl/Eomer with 2 Sons and 4 Redshields? My only qualm there is that Eorl and the Sons are faster - yet to take purely Sons seems a bit extravagent... I'd be interested in your thoughts on composing a cavalry warband.

Just to say as well I'm not putting your thoughts down - far from it, I'm just trying to explain my thought-process when I made this list! :)

Warrior

Wed May 18, 2016 3:50 pm

I think Eorl might look a little out of place in this list ;) although fluff is a big focus for me, and may not be for you. I would probably take Eomer Marshall of the riddermark for sheer hitting power, although Theodred is also an acceptable option if you want to keep the cost down.

Red shields are good as they boost your F4 coverage and I think a couple of sons would be enough, so 2 sons/4 Red shields looks pretty good.
Spiney Norman, Former Standard Bearer of the Last Alliance

For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.

Site Admin

Fri May 20, 2016 9:47 am

Eorl is never out of place in any list. I'd take him in my Isengard if it was legal :D

Red shields are a good suggestion. At least adding a few, so you have some F4 scattered around (you only need 1 per fight) would be handy.

Return to SBG Army Building & Tactics