aragorn leading helms deep defenders

Let's hunt some Orc! For discussion of tactics and army lists for the LotR: Strategy Battle Game.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

aragorn leading helms deep defenders

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:40 pm

i really liked the bit in the films in helms deep where aragorn fell of the deeping wall and then lead some
galadhrim agaisnt the charging uruk hai so i really want to do an army for 700pts where i have aragorn, elves with swords and bows (like in the films) and some rohan warriers maybe even a mounter force of galadrim knights, rohrirram and mounted aragorn what do you guys think? any sugestens, tactics or just some advice :?:
Mark, Warlord of Ipswich
i have bad spelling bad spelling

Vajeeta! what does the the scouter say about his power levels!
ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Standard Bearer

Re: aragorn leading helms deep defenders

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:48 pm

download Lonely Knights Army Builder to put together your army list.

Standard Bearer

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:54 pm

okay but please i would like some advice
Mark, Warlord of Ipswich

Standard Bearer

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:02 pm

I suggest getting the Defenders of Helms Deep boxed set for Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Haldir and several Rohan heroes, a box of plastic Galahdrim and a box of plastic Warriors of Rohan. That will get you a decent force to start with.

Personally, if I were to take a Helms Deep force based on the charge of the Elves against the Uruk Hai, then this is what I would take:

The Fellowship
Strider/Aragorn with armour and Anduril
Gimli, son of Gloin
Legolas with armour

Lothlorien
Haldir, Defender of Helms Deep (Elven bow and armour I believe)
Galadhrim Captain with Elven bow
Galadhrim Warrior with banner
14 Galadhrim Warriors with Elven blades
14 Galadhrim Warriors with Elven bow
12 Galadhrim Warriors with Spear and Shield

Thats a big 1000 points force which would be great for siege/scenario games. If you want a smaller force then you could remove some of the heroes/warriors according to preference.

I've just put that list together in 5 minutes using LK's army builder file, its an awesome tool :D

Standard Bearer

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:19 am

For a rough 700pt Helms Deep themed list:

Aragorn with Elven Cloak and Armour
Haldir Defender of Helms Deep
Rohan Outrider

8 Galadhrim with elven blades
8 Galadhrim with spears
8 Galadhrim with elf bows
1 Galadhrim with banner
8 Warriors of Rohan with throwing spear and shield
7 Warriors of Rohan with shield
1 Warrior of Rohan

Total: 700
Might: 6+
Models: 47

This force unfortunatly leaves out Legolas and Gimli in favour of some more numbers but even at this is still going to be outnumbered by other competitive force with tougher troops. I also put in Haldir of Helms Deep as he should be able to be a real threat if he is close to Aragorn and be able to hold his own well enough.
Tactics wise with this force, I would leave the archers behind as a seperate section for holding objectives etc and make sure they have clear line of sight to the enemy for as long as possible. The formation for your main force would change on situation. You could have a centre force of Galadhrim backed with spears and a banner, with Aragorn and Haldir near the edge of the elven group. And on the flanks of the elves, the Rohirim who will try to flank and throw their spears to take out spear support etc. Do not be afraid to shield when using warriors of Rohan, sometimes this is the only way they will stay alive, and they are generally more use to you alive and as body shields than dead.
Other formations could include two seperate contingents, one man one elf, men led by Aragorn, elf led by haldir. Aragorns free might per turn is useful for heroic moves in order to get the throwing spears off and you can just hope his section holds off long enough for the elves to break through.

Nemo

Standard Bearer

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:49 am

thanks nemo but the problem is my galadhrim with spears have sheilds
Mark, Warlord of Ipswich

Squire

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:05 am

"thanks nemo but the problem is my galadhrim with spears have sheilds"

Pretty much every topic you make (and thats alot) you come out with some vague question thats scope could be huge. "How to kill a balrog" is one, theres a thousand ways to kill a Balrog, but after a day you come out with a small list and say "but thats all Ive got!!" as if we're all psychic and know EXACTLY what you have. It seems as if you want us to put exactly what you have to somehow validate your existence.

You dont need to make a thread about every thought you have about the game, its getting dull. If you've only got galadhrim with spears and shields, either convert them (very easy) or TELL US when youre asking about a list, your first reply was that you wanted advice (notice the c not s) so we gave it, then you give snotty replies when people give your the advice. Its actually more satisfying to write the list yourself and play it so you know it can work. Maybe try that?!

Standard Bearer

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:59 pm

leave me alone i just asked for some advice and you give me a lecture
forgodsake i forget alot just stop being so offended :!: :x
Mark, Warlord of Ipswich

Standard Bearer

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:57 pm

mjbarrett wrote:thanks nemo but the problem is my galadhrim with spears have sheilds

I believe the shields come seperate from the models on the sprue, so you choose not to field them with shields.

@Glorfindol. I'm not saying that I disagree with all the points you made but I understand that mj is around 12 or 13, so cut him a little slack. :|

Squire

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Eldarion Telcontar wrote: I'm not saying that I disagree with all the points you made but I understand that mj is around 12 or 13, so cut him a little slack. :|

I believe what made Glorfindel upset, was that mj has been disrespectful to those who are offering him help in the past because they attempt to give him advice, but then he narrows the topic and gets angry at the people who had previously offered advice.

Now, back on topic. Eldarion is right, the shields are serperate from the models. If you've already attached the shields, but still wish to use the list, then I'd advise that you simply cut the shields from the model. With a sharp hobby knife and a steady hand, it shouldn't prove too dificult, just remember to be careful so you don't damage any other parts of the model. You could also buy another box of them, the more the merrier IMO! ;)

I think nemo's list is good, mj. It appears to be fairly strong and has a great theme, so it should prove fun to play with. :)

Next
Return to SBG Army Building & Tactics