The Golden Army of Abrakhan

Let's hunt some Orc! For discussion of tactics and army lists for the LotR: Strategy Battle Game.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

The Golden Army of Abrakhan

Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:21 pm

Here is an army I have used a lot lately, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to improve it.

Warband 1 12/12
The Knight of Umbar with armoured horse;
4 Haradrim Warrior with Spear;
4 Haradrim Warrior with Bow;
4 Abrakhân Merchant Guard
----
Warband 2 12/12
The Golden King of Abrakhân
----
Warband 3 12/12
Haradrim Chieftain with Horse; War spear;
----
Warband 4 12/12
Haradrim Chieftain with Horse; Bow; War spear;
1 Haradrim Warrior with Spear; Banner;
3 Abrakhân Merchant Guard
----
751 points, 9 might, 52 models, 17 bows.

I mainly want to keep it thematic, so just stuff from Abrakhan, but I'm open to suggestions. Mainly, I try to break the enemy army quickly, and then the Golden King works his magic. The KOU deals with heroes. I find this force struggles mainly vs elves (Fight 5), and when I roll terribly (8 dice to win a fight, roll a highest of a 3).

Villager

Re: The Golden Army of Abrakhan

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Hello? Anyone here?

Site Admin

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:58 am

Your army is very good already, with excellent heroes and a massive amount of models. It looks extremely competitive to me.

I have three suggestions:

The Knight of Umbar with armoured horse;

Knight of Umbar on Felbeast! That's a huge upgrade to the character and to your army. It's not cheap but so worthwhile.

Haradrim Chieftain with Horse; Bow; War spear;

The bow is rarely worth it on a mobile hero who needs to be charging. 5pts and he will usually only shoot at 5+.

And finally, have you considered adding a few cheap haradrim cavalry to take objectives, charge opponents etc? It would mean you lose a few models from your total, but is often worth it.

Good luck.

Villager

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:58 am

Thanks for the suggestions! What kind of Fellbeast t do suggest for the Knight? Also, what should I drop to fit it in? I really only have experience with the Armoured one. I gave one of the Harad Cheiftains bows because I had nothing to spend the points on. As for cavalry, I'm personally nor a fan and I think it would decrease my numbers too much.

Also, what about replacing one of the Harad captains with a Hasharin? What is your opinion of them?

Site Admin

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:49 am

I usually use the standard fellbeast. The others are ok but it's so easy to overspend.

Unfortunately to fit it you'd simply have to drop your model count a little. The good news is it's almost certainly worth it!

Hasharin are fantastic. If you have a nazgul along though, I recommend Dalamyr [sp?]. The reason for this is that he combines REALLY WELL with other models that can immobilise enemies - by himself, his smoke bombs are annoying, but with other casters helping to run down enemy Will they are an assassin's dream.

He also pairs with the Golden King well for the same reason - they can only use so much Will!

Squire

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:50 am

Looks like a good list.

I would probably suggest the normal fell beast too.

Dalamyr is a good suggestion, He's not widely used but he can be pretty good.
Hasharin are very good too.

I would not change much more than the above otherwise you are getting toward a low model count. Your bows should be enough to make up for the lack of cavalry. It's a good objective to have in breaking the other army and the -1 courage from the nazgul can help with that. A pretty solid build i'd say.

Villager

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:07 am

Dalamyr is great! so good with Wraiths or other will-burning models.
He never ceases to amaze opponents with how killy he is.
LOTR: 3000pts ANGMAR, 1200 MINAS TIRITH, 2000 DWARFS, 12000 ELVES. I HAVE A PROBLEM... not enough models. :mrgreen:

Return to SBG Army Building & Tactics