Army Painting Challenge Rules:
The aim of this challenge is to paint an entire army over the course of the half year, which can be for WotR or SBG. As people are not always able to paint every month, every member has 1 “real life cards” which they can use. Simply put, they do not have to participate that month.
As the aim is to try to paint a new army or expand a current army, participants must have proof pictures of the unpainted miniatures.
- In this case an unpainted miniature is one which is primed, unpainted, still on the sprue, a model before repainting, or with a basic basecoat (no more than one colour). This is because not everyone can remember to take pictures of their unpainted miniature before they paint. -
Participants also have 1 “updated army cards” which they can use – they must have made some of their models look better than before e.g. painting White Hands on 10 Uruk-Hai Warriors or repainting the metal on 8 Warriors of Minas Tirith.
If you finish your army before the end of the year you may still participate in the competition, although you don’t have to.
You must choose one army that you want to paint over the half year; although you may choose to change it in the first month, but not after.
If painting for WotR, you choose one of the army lists from the rulebook which you must paint for, including allies after that. At least half of the companies in your army must be from your chosen army list.
If painting for SBG, you choose one of the army lists from LoME, and then may include allies after that. At least half of the models from your army must be from your chosen army list.
Some models count as more than one model/company, as listed below:
War Mûmak (+ commander) – 10 Models/Companies
- War Mûmak crew (Wotr only) – 1 Company
Trolls – 3 Models/Companies
Cave Trolls/Chariots – 2 Models/Companies
Other Monsters – 5 Models/Companies
2 Cavalry Models (SBG only) – 3 Models
- 2 Mounts effectively count as one model, so this applies to Heroes mounts as well e.g. painting both Elladan and Elrohir on Horseback is 5 Points, instead of 4 – 2 Points for each because they’re Heroes, plus 1 for their mounts.
Heroes – 2 Models/1 Company
- If a Hero also comes under one of the other categories increase the number of models/formations the other category counts as by 1 e.g. a Khandish King in Chariot is a Chariot (2 Models/1 Company) and a Hero, so is worth 3 Models/Companies.
For SBG you must paint at least 30 models by the end of the half year (on average 5 per month), which must cost a minimum of 400 Points.
For WotR you must paint at least 15 Formations by the end of the year (on average 2.5 per month), which must cost a minimum of 500 Points.
Posting your army list to start is not necessary, just as long as your finishing army costs at least the total posted above.
Also, in regards to each separate thread per participant, the owner of the thread could change their title depending on what they were currently doing:
Participant - Army - Month Year - Action
- The first four letters of your username are all that are required, or initials.
CGoM - Erebor - January 2012 - RLC
- RLC stands for Real Life Card. This shows that I'm not participating this month.
CGoM - Erebor - February 2012 - Proof
- Proof would then be changed to WIP if I put pictures of unfinished models up that have been started, or to finished when that month has been completed
CGoM - Erebor - March 2012 - Finished UAC
- UAM stands for Updated Army Card. This would show that I have finished the month, but have only updated my army, instead of painting new units.
At the end of the year the community will vote for their favourite army (no voting for yourself), and the winner will be the person with the most votes and will have bragging rights for the rest of the year, and may attach the following line to their signature (or some other reward - such as having them army placed in a hall of fame, like that of the current competitions).
I won the army painting challenge.
Those who finish can put:
I finished the army painting challenge.
Those who paint the most models (SBG) or most companies (Wotr) can attach the following to their signature:
I painted the most companies in the army painting challenge.
I painted the most models in the army painting challenge.
Obviously all who have these in their signature will have the respect of the entire community (even more than they already do).
Thanks for reading, and anyone can participate. If you have any queries just ask