Army Painting Challenge 2012 January-June

Having trouble getting anything painted?
Join the challenge

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Army Painting Challenge 2012 January-June

Postby Chris Guard of Mardat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Army Painting Challenge Rules:

The aim of this challenge is to paint an entire army over the course of the half year, which can be for WotR or SBG. As people are not always able to paint every month, every member has 1 “real life cards” which they can use. Simply put, they do not have to participate that month.
As the aim is to try to paint a new army or expand a current army, participants must have proof pictures of the unpainted miniatures.
- In this case an unpainted miniature is one which is primed, unpainted, still on the sprue, a model before repainting, or with a basic basecoat (no more than one colour). This is because not everyone can remember to take pictures of their unpainted miniature before they paint. -

Participants also have 1 “updated army cards” which they can use – they must have made some of their models look better than before e.g. painting White Hands on 10 Uruk-Hai Warriors or repainting the metal on 8 Warriors of Minas Tirith.
If you finish your army before the end of the year you may still participate in the competition, although you don’t have to.

You must choose one army that you want to paint over the half year; although you may choose to change it in the first month, but not after.

If painting for WotR, you choose one of the army lists from the rulebook which you must paint for, including allies after that. At least half of the companies in your army must be from your chosen army list.

If painting for SBG, you choose one of the army lists from LoME, and then may include allies after that. At least half of the models from your army must be from your chosen army list.

Some models count as more than one model/company, as listed below:
War Mûmak (+ commander) – 10 Models/Companies
- War Mûmak crew (Wotr only) – 1 Company
Trolls – 3 Models/Companies
Cave Trolls/Chariots – 2 Models/Companies
Other Monsters – 5 Models/Companies
2 Cavalry Models (SBG only) – 3 Models
- 2 Mounts effectively count as one model, so this applies to Heroes mounts as well e.g. painting both Elladan and Elrohir on Horseback is 5 Points, instead of 4 – 2 Points for each because they’re Heroes, plus 1 for their mounts.
Heroes – 2 Models/1 Company
- If a Hero also comes under one of the other categories increase the number of models/formations the other category counts as by 1 e.g. a Khandish King in Chariot is a Chariot (2 Models/1 Company) and a Hero, so is worth 3 Models/Companies.

For SBG you must paint at least 30 models by the end of the half year (on average 5 per month), which must cost a minimum of 400 Points.
For WotR you must paint at least 15 Formations by the end of the year (on average 2.5 per month), which must cost a minimum of 500 Points.

Posting your army list to start is not necessary, just as long as your finishing army costs at least the total posted above.

Also, in regards to each separate thread per participant, the owner of the thread could change their title depending on what they were currently doing:

Participant - Army - Month Year - Action
- The first four letters of your username are all that are required, or initials.
CGoM - Erebor - January 2012 - RLC
- RLC stands for Real Life Card. This shows that I'm not participating this month.
-
CGoM - Erebor - February 2012 - Proof
- Proof would then be changed to WIP if I put pictures of unfinished models up that have been started, or to finished when that month has been completed
-
CGoM - Erebor - March 2012 - Finished UAC
- UAM stands for Updated Army Card. This would show that I have finished the month, but have only updated my army, instead of painting new units.

At the end of the year the community will vote for their favourite army (no voting for yourself), and the winner will be the person with the most votes and will have bragging rights for the rest of the year, and may attach the following line to their signature (or some other reward - such as having them army placed in a hall of fame, like that of the current competitions).

I won the army painting challenge.
Those who finish can put:
I finished the army painting challenge.
Those who paint the most models (SBG) or most companies (Wotr) can attach the following to their signature:
I painted the most companies in the army painting challenge.
I painted the most models in the army painting challenge.

Obviously all who have these in their signature will have the respect of the entire community (even more than they already do).

Thanks for reading, and anyone can participate. If you have any queries just ask
Last edited by Chris Guard of Mardat on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Guard of Mardat
Standard Bearer

Re: Army Painting Challenge 2012 January-June

Postby Chris Guard of Mardat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:30 pm

This month will go from 5th January to 5th February
Chris Guard of Mardat
Standard Bearer

Postby LonelyKnight » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:39 pm

That was quick
I have a gondor army that has Saruman painted and 8 GotFC with metal parts with a layer of boltgun metal
Saruman is obviously done, but do the GotFC count as unpainted?
LonelyKnight
Standard Bearer

Postby Chris Guard of Mardat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 pm

The fountain guard do count as unpainted
Chris Guard of Mardat
Standard Bearer

Postby hixont » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 am

Since I'm going to be painting them any I might as well add in an incentive to get them finished faster. I guess I'll drag the Men of Numenor onto the painting table.

Isildur or two captains of Numenor. I'm undecided at this time.
20 Warriors of Numenor with shield
20 Warriors of Numenor with shield and spear
20 Warriors of Numenor with bow

600 points, mostly plastic. The only thing done to date is the assembly and converting of twenty swordsmen into spearmen.
hixont
Standard Bearer

Postby stewart » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:33 am

what??!! Hixont playing a good army?? i've never seen it. :D

i think this is a great idea and i'll participate and give it a try. i want to get my fiefdoms army off the ground and i've all but finished painting for my other games. :D (this way i should have it done by the grand wagh here in the bay area where i usually run into Hixont)

i guess we all start our own thread? i'll start mine soon with start up pics.

-Stewart
stewart
Squire

Postby Chris Guard of Mardat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:32 pm

stewart wrote:i guess we all start our own thread? i'll start mine soon with start up pics.

Yep, really hoping I don't have to use the real life card this month - got 5 exams, a theatre trip and a 40K army to paint (which I want to finish by Sunday), and base + prime 100+ Dwarves. Talk about bad starts...
Chris Guard of Mardat
Standard Bearer

Postby hixont » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:51 am

stewart wrote:what??!! Hixont playing a good army?? i've never seen it. :D

Yeah, I know. It'll be my second completely painted good force. :-)
hixont
Standard Bearer

Postby LonelyKnight » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:25 pm

gonna sticky this thread
LonelyKnight
Standard Bearer

Postby Sithious » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:43 am

Ok...you have me curious. I have been known to be able to crank out an army in a year...but the past 6 months I have had other priorities. But I mentioned this new contest/challenge to my girlfriend (and mother of my daughter) and she thinks I should enter...
double edged sword when your woman says you should do something you enjoy, could backfire. ha ha.

So...I am sort of on the fence about it, and have yet to decide which army I would do if I go for it. But I look forward to following along as people W.I.P.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/
Sithious
Standard Bearer

Next

Return to Army Painting Challenge