Dwarf Cavalry?

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Site Admin

Dwarf Cavalry?

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:03 pm

There's no profile for it yet, but discussions about the idea of War Pigs for the Dwarfs have come up a few times in our player group.

Camel style impaler - probably too strong on a heavily armoured army (it's very strong in Harad, even though they have wicker armour!)
Warg style war pigs - take a courage test to stay and fight. Probably too strong, or would need to be priced higher

Most popular idea was to base it on an Armoured Horse from the Kingdoms of Men, but reduce the speed to a more appropriate 8". This could make pricing them simple;
9pts for a Warrior (same as KODA armoured horse)
15pts for a Hero (same as a KOM armoured horse)

With the disadvantage of the slightly slower 8" move making sure that the unit abides by the 'Golden Rule' of the Unreleased Profiles.

Thoughts?

Villager

Re: Dwarf Cavalry?

Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:09 pm

I love this idea.
The one thing I am not sure is whether they should be riding rams or war pigs. It seems like there were some of both. In the film, at least.

The points cost and move speed looks ok.

Squire

Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:57 am

Yes, I think only Dain was riding a pig and there was a few seconds somewhere of dwarves riding rams.

I think the idea of making them a bit slower armored horses is logical, but somehow it ought to be more fun. Something special that still would not make them too powerful.

Site Admin

Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:31 pm

Kalle wrote:I think the idea of making them a bit slower armored horses is logical, but somehow it ought to be more fun. Something special that still would not make them too powerful.

Warg-style courage test to stay would probably make them powerful enough to be difficult to price correctly. Defence 6 would make it very hard to dismount a hero.
Rams and pigs are sure footed though; perhaps half speed in terrain (instead of quarter) would differentiate them a bit without a huge impact on pricing.

Villager

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Rams could easily be 8Inch moving armoured cavalry with no penalties for moving through rocky and woodland difficult terrain (excludes water etc). This makes them in part similar to Galadhrim Mounts. 9 points would seem fair for that.

Pigs are another story as only Dain rides one. I believe a special cavalry rule would befit such a massive beast. Giving it an impale rule (like camels) and armour would make sense. But leaving it with an 8 inch move (this counteracts the Impale bonus). This would create a 15 point beast.
I would love it to have multiple wounds due to the shear damage it sustains in the movie before it goes down but that may create power issues. Then again it could easily be treated as a sort of chariot. 8inchs, Monsterous Cavalry, 2 wounds, D5, Impale for 25 points? (Chariots are usually 12 inchs, Monsterous, 3 wounds and D6 so its easily weaker for the same points).

Squire

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:22 pm

Rams could easily be 8Inch moving armoured cavalry with no penalties for moving through rocky and woodland difficult terrain (excludes water etc). This makes them in part similar to Galadhrim Mounts. 9 points would seem fair for that.

I think you could just give them the 'Mountain Dweller' special rule. It already exists and it would be very thematic.
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Squire

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:25 pm

Sorry that is -
Mountain Dweller - A Dwarf Ranger can move 6" in any rocky area classed as difficult terrain just as if he were in the open. May also reroll any jumping and climbing tests.

Just change 6" to 8" or whatever the speed is.
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Villager

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:41 pm

I think that would be perfect! It still makes them worse 9 points (for warriors) since they get that positive and the 2inch move negative.

Villager

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:00 pm

There definitely has to be a profile made up for this unit,the issue is making it a well balanced unit. I think the unit should be based off a dol amroth knight .

I think the warrior should be the same stats as a dwarf warrior,and have the option to have a lance . That should be sorted. So i was thinking 10 pts ?

The ram is where it gets interesting I am thinking 8 points and have the armoured horse profile but move 8inches,and have a special rule for a ram charge i.e resolve one of the bonus attacks on a strength 4 or both at strength 4 on the charge and also move through terrian easily.

Those are my thoughts

Site Admin

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Good input, there's obviously a lot of enthusiasm about this idea.

Here are my thoughts, using pricing similar to Dol Amroth, the Iron Hills Warrior profile and some of the rules suggested above.

=========================================

Dwarf Ram Rider 18pts
Move 5" F4 S4 D6 A1 W1 C4
Armour, Hand weapon, Shield

Wargear:
Armoured Ram
Move 8" F0/- S4 D5 W1 C3

Special Rules:
Mountain Dweller - Can move its normal full distance in any rocky area classed as difficult terrain just as if in the open. May also reroll any jumping and climbing tests.

Options:
Throwing Weapons ................... 2pts

Notes:
The Mountain Dweller rule does not have a specific speed because it also doesn't specify the ram or the dwarf, they both have it.
No lance option, but does have S4 for an impressive damage output.
The defence is 6, but the model has "shield and armour" instead of just "heavy dwarf armour", because I expect most people to want to model it with a shield. It purposefully isn't D7.

Next
Return to The Free People - Dwarfs