Fallen Realms on Advanced Order

For all LOTR news, new releases and sneak peaks.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Site Admin

Fallen Realms on Advanced Order

Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:42 am

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... Style=lotr

Got to say, most of it looks crap :(

Kain

Villager

Re: Fallen Realms on Advanced Order

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:18 pm

thanks for the link. was really looking forward to this release but besides the easterling command and the planquin bearers. they fit nicely with harad theme i think. when do the stats for the models get posted for sbg?

Standard Bearer

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Wow..! These are bad..! :o They look more like Warhammer models than the good old LotR models! A beam of plasma (supposed to be fire!) coming out from an Orc's hand.. WHAT?!
The only model that is not too bad is the Easterling War Priest. The Haradrim and the Easterling banner are not too bad, but they are all but special.
It's a shame, it's really a shame, IMHO..
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Villager

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi,
I quite like the Easterling and Harad commands almost enough to make me get them back out for a game, the rest really aren't that good, especially the chainmail on the Black Guard. Will have to wait and see on the SBG Rules.
Catsrule23

Warrior

Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:06 pm

The Black Guard, I do rather like, especially the Command set for them. Might have to see what their rules are like for the SBG before I get any though. The Easterling and Haradrim Command sets are so-so...they're good models, but not quite to my taste. Kardush is cool, but I will be removing that little fireball from his hand if I get him. The Golden King is quite cool, just not amazingly keen on the palaquin bearers. Considering that my Lithanorim tribe was always themed around Abrakan, I may have to get him and do a little conversion work.

For me, the highlights of this release are still the 2 Ringwraiths. Utterly disappointed about the lack of plastic though. A plastic Khandish release, or even plastic Kataphracts, would've made this a much bigger and better release IMO.
James

Up for a game in Nottingham? Drop me a PM to arrange a battle!

Villager

Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:11 pm

Roman Orcs? Have they gone mad? I really don't know what to think right now...they both seem horrible yet awesome.
Anyways, I kinda like them, although I don't get the two swords for the Dragon Guard.
Of course, that Kardûsh guy should get that fire-arm cut off, which will improve the model imo.
The new Ringwraiths are okay, the Golden King - meh, not much to say, command sets are pretty nice.

Standard Bearer

Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:29 pm

I've seen bad models before, but this just is a bad release.
Really looks as if not too much effort was put into it.
The best models by far are the Nazgul, They are nicely posed and sculpted.
Black Guard: Way too much chainmail, boring poses, stupid shields = bad concept.
Easterling Dragon Knight: Just boring. Not sure whether he's standing there or trying to look angry and scary.
Easterling War Priest: I kinda like the samurai helmet, though it would be better if other models also had helmets along those lines. Seems a bit undetailed, this guy.
Easterling banner dude: Meh. Not too exciting either.
Haradrim taskmaster: would've looked better without the collar, backpack and with a bare head, I think. Besides, I think the whole concept is a bit weird, seeing there aren't any 'Haradrim slave' units available. If the normal soldiers are treated like that.. well, that's a bit different from what I imagined, though possible.
Haradrim banner: not great, but nice nonetheless. Though a two-handed pose would've been better, seeing the huge piece of cloth.
Haradrim hornblower: probably the best of the bunch. Pretty nice.
The Golden King: Nice concept, not sure on some of the things (little banner on top of the rack, mask, sumo-slaves) but I kinda like it.
Kârdush: Hadn't expected anything nice, still a disappointment. Congratulations Games Workshop, you did it again.

Standard Bearer

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:23 pm

I'm quite fond of the Black Guard though I'm surprised by the fact that the Captain seems to be wearing an Isengard helmet. I like their design because it is different enough to differentiate them from the Mordor Uruk-hai of Cirith Ungol, but resembles them enough to it in with the rest of the Mordor armies.

I'm actually quite fond of the center Easterling commander (war priest?). The Banner Bearer isn't that different from the old one, just a bigger flag.

The Haradrim are ok but nothing exceptional.

The Wraiths are the best part of this release.

The Golden King is a nice figure but I despise the palanquin bearers. They call Forlong fat?

Kardush would actually make a nice Black Guard shaman with a little conversion work.

Villager

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:12 pm

hugely dissapointed. Nowhere near as good as I was hoping/expecting. The Haradrim Commanders and the Abrakhan Guard I consider the only miniatures here I actually like.

Kardush the Firecaller looks crap, the fire is incredibly cheesy, hopefully he'll look better without it.

The Easterling Commanders are ok I suppose.

The Tower Guard however are a 100% complete dissapointment.

The Golden King is okay but I wouldn't pay much for it.

Boohoo GW, sort your act out.

Villager

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Somehow I think that there's too much cynicism surrounding these releases. Then I take a closer look at the models, and my optimism fades... Of course, they're under close scrutiny since they're "additions", I'm sure I'd have less of a problem with them if they existed when I started playing. But I guess I have a lot of problems with some of the older models, too... Boromir CotWT being my prime example.

The model I hate the most is Kardush (and what's with all those retarded accents? Tolkein or not, I hate them). As much as I appreciate the paragraph of fluff they gave him, it's an awful-looking model. Makes me understand the "Warhammerization" of LotR. Besides, how much more magic does evil need? The Easterling command is also really horrid. The guy on the left looks like he came out of the Matrix as much as the Lord of the Rings... tacky trenchcoat with a stiff and unoriginal pose. The one with the spear looks like he was given a mask because faces take too much time. The banner-bearer's flag and pose are pretty boring. The Harad Command and Black Guards are a little lackluster, but they looks good by comparison. I do really like the rest of them, though. The Golden King and his fat guards make me want to start a Harad army.

I like the look of the new Ringwraiths (and the idea behind them), even if they could be a little more "wraith-like" (longer faces). My biggest problem with them is their names and fluff. Let's check the books: the Ringwraiths appeared around year 2251 of the Second Age. The estranged Numenoreans established Umbar in 2280. Somehow I find it odd that this Numenorean "ruled the Southlands" before the Numernoreans even settled the region. I guess it's possible that he was the king of a different part of Harad, and gained the title later, like how the Lord of the Nazgul gained the title of the Witch-King of Angmar. However, the establishment of Umbar is, I think, the first mention we get of a permanent Numenorean haven in Harad, though they were exploring the coasts from ~800 SA on. I'm now convinced (with the fluff GW wrote) that they didn't just mix up the names, but I still think "the Betrayer" suits a black Numenorean better, and "the Knight of Umbar" suits a Haradrim wraith better.

Edit: I would also like to make a "crack" about the Knight of Umbar needing to get off his "high horse". :D

Next
Return to News