Ask me anything about the new rules!

For all LOTR news, new releases and sneak peaks.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Ask me anything about the new rules!

Postby GrashnarTheSecond » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:29 pm

I just got my rulebook! Since there's far too much stuff to list (not to mention the fact that I just got it an hour ago), rather than list all the changes, I'm going to let you guys ask questions, and I'll look up the answers.

Some interesting things I noticed during my first flick-through:

Reassuringly, there is a HEAVY focus on the older models as well as the new stuff
Plenty of pictures of upcoming models!
There are various "special' strikes for different types of hand weapons

Profiles in the book (apart from those models that are released on saturday):

Lindir
Rivendell Knight Captain (with picture in the book)
Thror
Thrain
Captain of Erebor
Grim Hammer Captain (with picture in the book)
Gwaihir (new model, likely plastic)
Knight of Rivendell (with picture in the book)
Warrior of Erebor
Grim Hammer
Great Eagle (new model, likely plastic)
Azog
Hunter Orc Captain
Gollum (new profile and new model)
Fell Warg

The smaller rulebook contains 112 pages and has no profiles.

There are seven new army lists for Warbands, as well as a revised White Council list.

In addition to those listed, there's pictures of a new Elrond in armour and an alternative Radagast model.

Gollum gets a completely new profile, Elrond and Radagast remain mostly the same but receive some updates, Gandalf, Saruman and Galadriel don't change. Balin has a new profile but it's listed as "Balin the Dwarf" rather than Balin, Son of Fundin, meaning both profiles remain valid.

That said, let the questions begin! :D
Last edited by GrashnarTheSecond on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar
GrashnarTheSecond
Standard Bearer

Re: Ask me anything about the new rules!

Postby General Elessar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:51 pm

The impression I've recieved from reading other stuff is that the core rules have remained essentially the same, but that there's a few extra details. Is that right?

Also, what's the single biggest rule change?
"There are few left in Middle Earth like Aragorn, son of Arathorn." - Gandalf, Many Meetings
General Elessar
Villager

Postby GrashnarTheSecond » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:53 pm

General Elessar wrote:The impression I've recieved from reading other stuff is that the core rules have remained essentially the same, but that there's a few extra details. Is that right?

Also, what's the single biggest rule change?

Lots of tweaks, but the core rules are essentially the same yes. Warbands is fully integrated.

The single biggest rules change IMHO is the boost monsters have received with power attacks.
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar
GrashnarTheSecond
Standard Bearer

Postby theavenger001 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Special strikes for different weapons, I've heard of parry, but what are the others and what do they do? Also, what does barge do for monsters?
theavenger001
Warrior

Postby GrashnarTheSecond » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:19 pm

theavenger001 wrote:Special strikes for different weapons, I've heard of parry, but what are the others and what do they do? Also, what does barge do for monsters?

The different strikes (roughly described, don't want to go into too much detail because of possible legal issues)

Bash (blunt weapons like hammers): Instead of receiving a wound, the enemy may be knocked to the ground.
Feint (bladed weapons like daggers and swords): -1D3 Fight Value, reroll to wound rolls of 1.
Piercing strike (axes and picks): Attacking model is at +D3 strength, -D3 defense for that fight
Stun (clubs, staffs): Instead of receiving a wound, on a 4+ the enemy is FV 1/6+ and has only one attack until the end of the next turn.
Whirl (Flails, whips, etc.): Attacker is at FV 1, but makes a single to-wound-roll at every enemy model in the fight

As for barge; instead of attacking the enemy, they are pushed back 3", and the monster gets to move (and charge) again.
Armies:
GrashnarTheSecond
Standard Bearer

Postby Fëanor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 pm

This is all sounds pretty cool! Might make it a little complex, but I love more detailed rules. Stun will be annoying to note in bigger battles though..
So these special hand weapon attacks, can you choose to use them, or do you automatically do so?

Thanks for sharing all this! :D
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"
Fëanor
Standard Bearer

Postby SidTheSloth » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:35 pm

you say there are no profiles in the small rulebook... do you mean the one that comes with the starter set has no prfiles or are you speaking of a different rulebook?
What we need is a few good 'taters.
What's 'taters, precious? What's 'taters, eh?
Po-tay-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant
backlog comlete: 2/80
SidTheSloth
Warrior

Postby strider » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:36 pm

So to play with any of the new profiles you have to buy the big rulebook. Aaahhh GW once again you screw me over ,god damn preodered starterset :cry: .
2012 gt: 8th
2012 doubles: 13th
strider
Villager

Postby Lord Baltimore » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:51 pm

^ that's what I'm saying! Damn you GW, no profiles at all? Come on. Grashnar, does the starter set come with the profiles for the models included, in one of the other little books perhaps ( that is if you did get the starter set). Also, the attacks on weapons, is it a wysiwyg type of deal or is there a fixed weapon type for each entry? Thanks for the info btw, much appreciated!!
Lord Baltimore
Villager

Postby GrashnarTheSecond » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 pm

There are rules for the models in the starter set but no points values.

The hand weapon rules are WYSIYG and are optional to use (like the rules for shielding)
Armies:
GrashnarTheSecond
Standard Bearer

Next

Return to News