Azog question

For all questions and clarifications concerning the Strategy Battle Game rules.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Azog question

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Azog's special rule states that he wounds all enemy hero's on a 3+. However because he also has the Burly special rule and is armed with a 2 handed weapon, he adds one to his dice role to wound. Does this mean that he essentially wounds all enemy hero's on a 2+?

Warrior

Re: Azog question

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:24 pm

We are waiting for a FAQ but I guess so. Since a two-handed weapon adds one to your dice score, it doesn't make you wound on a 2+ (it does so in the game, but not in theory). It just makes it easier to get to those 3 or higher.
Middle-Earth Monster Mash - 4th (Mordor+Harad)
Middle-Earth Monster Mash II - 4th (Galadhrim)
Middle-Earth Monster Mash III - 2nd (Thorin's Company)
Middle-Earth Monster Mash IV - 7th (Minas Morgul)

Villager

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:56 pm

What I'm interested in is how does Azog wield that two handed axe? Unless they do him pre Moria battle, it would be hard to carry that double handed axe with that metal chicken hand :) As to the original post, yes, I would imagine that a 2 boosting up to a 3 from the weapon would indeed wound, same as any other to wound roll using a two handed weapon. Pretty nasty!

Squire

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:58 pm

We are waiting for a FAQ but I guess so. Since a two-handed weapon adds one to your dice score, it doesn't make you wound on a 2+ (it does so in the game, but not in theory). It just makes it easier to get to those 3 or higher.

I’m not sure about that. The way I read it, the 3+ to wound is an exception to the normal rules and therefore would already include any bonus for his equipment. We’ll see how the FAQ turns out, if it gets addressed at all.

I'm hoping the model has two arm options: before and after the wound. Like how Thorin from EFGT can have the oakenshield or Orcrist.

Villager

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:00 am

Lord Baltimore wrote:What I'm interested in is how does Azog wield that two handed axe? Unless they do him pre Moria battle, it would be hard to carry that double handed axe with that metal chicken hand

Most likely GW wrote the Azog rules before PJ and his crew decided to completely redesign Azog for the movie at the last minute (the old Azog design became Yazneg instead). I don't think that the two-handed weapon was intented for the current Azog design.

Villager

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:16 am

Rtifs wrote:

I’m not sure about that. The way I read it, the 3+ to wound is an exception to the normal rules and therefore would already include any bonus for his equipment. We’ll see how the FAQ turns out, if it gets addressed at all.

I'm hoping the model has two arm options: before and after the wound. Like how Thorin from EFGT can have the oakenshield or Orcrist.

Well if the special rule is an exception, why would they give him a 2 handed weapon with Burly if he could not use it?

Site Admin

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:43 am

Falkrik wrote:Well if the special rule is an exception, why would they give him a 2 handed weapon with Burly if he could not use it?

Possibly because the special rule works against heroes, and he will often be fighting Warriors and then choose to use the two-handed weapon.

Villager

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
Falkrik wrote:Well if the special rule is an exception, why would they give him a 2 handed weapon with Burly if he could not use it?

Possibly because the special rule works against heroes, and he will often be fighting Warriors and then choose to use the two-handed weapon.

Oh right, the rule being against only heroes slipped my mind :$

Squire

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:16 am

Essentially yes. Two handed weapons give you +1 bonus to the To WOUND Roll, Azog's special rule allows him to WOUND his enemy on a 3+, so it is only natural that Azog would get this, but it is not technically a 2+, it essentially is.
"I have seen three ages in the West of the world, and many defeats, and many fruitless victories" - Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Villager

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Hello Guys !

Can you please remind what is the special rule bulry ? I can't remember what it does and I can't find that anywhere !

Yours

Next
Return to SBG Rules Queries