Arnor Rangers + Halbarad

For all questions and clarifications concerning the Strategy Battle Game rules.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Location: Angband, building an army of Balrogs to crush the Noldor and Gondolin

Arnor Rangers + Halbarad

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:43 pm

I've started a new Grey Company army, but I have one query. I know the four Rangers to a Dunedain etc rule, but was wondering if it also applies to someone like Halbarad, e.g. taking two dunedain and Halbarad and 12 rangers?

I think it is only RotN and Dunedain. Also, if it is wrong, is there a massive objection to doing this (not in tourneys, probably just in GWs.)

Thanks!
"I am fire. I am... death"

Check out my commission service:
http://terranovaterraincommissions.wordpress.com

Squire

Re: Arnor Rangers + Halbarad

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:19 pm

Actually it is even more restricted than that. Technically it is only Rangers of the North that allow you to ignore the bow limit with Rangers of Arnor. Dunedain do nothing special.

So if your wondering what is the purpose of Dunedain if they cant lead, don't have a special bonus, and don't have an option for a horse......well we all at the Last Alliance are wondering the same thing....just don't use them. They suck.

Villager

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:44 pm

Legion wrote:Actually it is even more restricted than that. Technically it is only Rangers of the North that allow you to ignore the bow limit with Rangers of Arnor. Dunedain do nothing special.

So if your wondering what is the purpose of Dunedain if they cant lead, don't have a special bonus, and don't have an option for a horse......well we all at the Last Alliance are wondering the same thing....just don't use them. They suck.

You save a whole point :lol:

Standard Bearer

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Ehm, no. '[...] can take up to 4 Rangers of Arnor for each Ranger of the North or Dúnedain it contains. [...]'
Although it is true that there is no reason to use Dúnedain over RotN in 99.999% of the cases, if only because that one point doesn't make much of a difference, while the extra defence does. A pity, because several of those Dúnedain look amazing.

Anyway, yes, it's just those two, not any of the named characters. While I wouldn't be enitrely against Halbarad or Aragorn counting as one of those for the purposes of Ranger limit, the force is nasty enough without such allowances. Can result in an annoying leftover of points, but that's quite common with the warband system anyway.

Standard Bearer

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Coën wrote:Although it is true that there is no reason to use Dúnedain over RotN [...] A pity, because several of those Dúnedain look amazing.

What more reason do you need?

I'm planning out a Fall of Arthedain force and I'm going to use Dunedain rather than Rangers of the North because the ROTN look awful.

Squire

Location: Angband, building an army of Balrogs to crush the Noldor and Gondolin

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:28 pm

Thanks guys! That's what I thought. Ah well.

Coën wrote:Although it is true that there is no reason to use Dúnedain over RotN in 99.999% of the cases, if only because that one point doesn't make much of a difference, while the extra defence does.

Yeah I was going to use Rangers of the North anyway.

Coën wrote:Anyway, yes, it's just those two, not any of the named characters. While I wouldn't be enitrely against Halbarad or Aragorn counting as one of those for the purposes of Ranger limit, the force is nasty enough without such allowances. Can result in an annoying leftover of points, but that's quite common with the warband system anyway.

I wanted to include Halbarad for the fluff really, and I have an annoying amount of spare points! :lol:
"I am fire. I am... death"

Check out my commission service:
http://terranovaterraincommissions.wordpress.com

Villager

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 pm

The Dunedain look loads better than the very boring looking RotN, If I was to do a Ranger list i would have to go with the Dunedain on looks alone (plus, friendly game i can pretend they have that extra armour). I do find it odd that Aragorn, Isildurs Heir can't ride a horse though. I love my Mounted Aragorn but he really doesn't get enought use.

Site Admin

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:22 am

Just using Dunedain models as Ranger of the North heroes seems the best idea to me.

It's a simple, clear proxy as long as you only have RoN and no Dunedain in your force - and as covered above, why would you have Dunedain when you can have RoN :D

Return to SBG Rules Queries