hobbits and friends 600 pts

Let's hunt some Orc! For discussion of tactics and army lists for the LotR: Strategy Battle Game.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

hobbits and friends 600 pts

Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:41 am

Hi all
Im going to a tournament in january and would appreciate some comments on 2 lists im considdering:

List 1:

Warband 1:
Treebeard

Warband 2:
Gandalf the grey

Warband 3:
Merry - shield
12xbattlin brandybucks

Warband 4:
Paladin took
9xbattlin brandybucks

Warband 5:
Pippin
11xhobbit archers

598 pts - 37 models - 9M - 15W - 12F

List 2:
Warband 1:
Bandobras
1xent

Warband 2:
Gandalf the grey

Warband 3:
Merry - shield
12xbattlin brandybucks

Warband 4:
Paladin
12xbattlin brandybucks

Warband 5:
Pippin
12xhobblt archers

Warband 6:
Lobelia

Warband 7:
Fatty Bolger

600 pts - 44 models - 8M - 13W - 12F

The ents in the lists are the big fighters and gandalf will be used for blinding light and the occasional immobilise and sorcerous blast.

What do you guys think? im currently leaning towards the first list because of treebeard.

Site Admin

Re: hobbits and friends 600 pts

Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:50 pm

It's tricky because you're giving up one of the main strengths of Hobbit lists (numbers!) to add in the expensive heroes.

They are both good lists, in particular the upgrade to battlin brandybucks is a great choice, much better than shirrifs for the same price. Ignoring the theme aspect of adding Ents, the second list has higher numbers, and has some excellent utility heroes too. I think I'd probably use that one, but find the points to buy Gandalf a horse.

Villager

Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:21 pm

I see your point with the numbers and ive had good results with only hobbits and gandalf before (blinding light has saved more hobbits than i can count).
That being said, i have missed some good fighters lately and thought mabye an ent would help.
If you have any suggestions to alternatives i would really appreciate it (im not overly conserned with theme/lore in tournament play)

Squire

Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:32 pm

An ent would help, but so would Legolas or Aragorn who can both ally more naturally. Aragorn kills things quickly, and Legolas with elven cloak makes a great general.

If you don't mind theme too much then the ent is a good choice. Have you considered Gwahir? A Flying monster for a lot less points than treebeard.
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Villager

Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:56 pm

Did not think of Legolas, have been thinking of Gwaihir or an eagle though.

How would this list look:

3xWarbands of hobbits, Gandalf, Gwaihir and 7 woses

598pts - 48 models

ive also forgot to mention i took the hobbit warhorn in all lists

Squire

Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:32 pm

That looks really good, and powerful too.
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Villager

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Had a testrun of this army today:

Gandalf

Merry
-12xbattlin brandybucks

Pippin
-12xbattlin brandybucks

Paladin
-12xhobbit archers, warhorn

Gwaihir
-8xwoses

And met:
Dvalin
-12xwarriors of erebor, 6xshield, 6xspear and shield

Faramir, bow
- 12xwarriors of minas tirith, 4xshield, 8xspear and shield

Legolas, armour, elven cloak
-8xmirkwood rangers

We played lords of battle and it turned out to be a very fun game:

Gandalf used blinding light making shooting virtually useless (only legolas killed anyone using his autohit shenanigans)
the hobbits only killed 2-3 warriors of minas tirith with their shooting

faramir and his warband attacked on one side, dvalin and the dwarfs on the other, while the elves waited a few rounds in the back trying to shoot something.

when the close combat began, dvalin supported by two dwarfs with hand weapon and two with spear charged gwaihir, while the rest of the dwarfs engaged hobbits supported by woses, and gondor engaged hobbits on the other side.

during the game, dvalin and gwaihir fought 3 times (once also supported by legolas) , with dvalin winning one dealing 1 wound,and gwaihir spent the others throwing him through the spear supporting ranks of men and dwarfs

gandalf spent the game in the back sorcerous blasting warriors and he was very successful,hitting on 4 out of four killing atleast 1 a turn.

we ran out of time and had to end a little early, but with the hobbits having killed over 20 models, lost 22, dvalin and faramir without might and fate, legolas with one each and them being broken while the hobbits where not would probably give the hobbits an edge if the game had continued.

All in all a good test and while being good, gwaihir got separated easily so will have to learn how to use him better.

Return to SBG Army Building & Tactics